SLAS Birding trip to B.K.Leach 4/11/09 St. Louis Audubon Society is offering a field trip to B K Leach Wildlife Area this Saturday, April 11.

Meeting time and place:  We will meet at 8:00 am in the south end of the Dierberg’s parking lot in the southwest corner of the intersection of I-70 and Hwy 79.   From there we will carpool to B.K.Leach.  For those wanting to go directly to Leach see the directions below.

Trip duration:  The trip is billed as ‘all day’ on our calendar, but the trip leader has to be home by 3:30 pm in order to prepare for the SLAS annual dinner that night, so the official trip will end somewhere between 2:30 and 3:00 to facilitate this.

Places to be visited:  All three parts of B.K.Leach; the King’s Lake area first (this is where the Black-necked Stilt was seen today), old Leach (the southern part) second, and then Bittern Basin and Prairie Slough which is right next to Bittern Basin.  If there is time we may try to hit one of the places south of Leach such as Winfield Dam, the Keeteman Rd sod farms or Firma Rd.  However, a scouting trip through the latter two spots today did not turn up much of interest.  There was far more good habitat and numbers of birds within B.K.Leach.

What to bring:  Lunch, binoculars and scopes, FRS radios tuned to 11:22, water.

Leader:  John Solodar

Directions:  From the St. Louis area take I-70 west past the airport to exit 220 which is Hwy 79.   Turn south on Hwy 79 to the Dierbergs lot on the right after you cross back over I-70.   This spot is about 15 minutes drive from the airport.   From the carpool location we will take Hwy 79 north thru Winfield and Foley.   Do not try to get to B.K.Leach from the Highway sign via County Rd M as a bridge on M is closed.   Continue until you see signs for County Rd JJ, a welcome to Elsberry sign and a bridge over a creek all together on the right hand side.   Immediately after passing over this bridge turn right.  This is Hatfield Rd.  There is a slight pullout a little ways on the right and we will meet there.  If the carpool group gets out of the Dierberg’s lot by 8:10 we should be at the meeting place on Hatfield Rd in about 30 minutes or around 8:40 am.

John Solodar

8135 Cornell Court
St. Louis, MO 63130-3639
314-862-5294