St. Louis Audubon Society is offering a field trip to B K Leach Wildlife
Area this Saturday, April 11.

Meeting time and place:  We will meet at 8:00 am in the south end of the
Dierbergıs parking lot in the southwest corner of the intersection of I-70
and Hwy 79.   From there we will carpool to B.K.Leach.  For those wanting to
go directly to Leach see the directions below.

Trip duration:  The trip is billed as Œall dayı on our calendar, but the
trip leader has to be home by 3:30 pm in order to prepare for the SLAS
annual dinner that night, so the official trip will end somewhere between
2:30 and 3:00 to facilitate this.

Places to be visited:  All three parts of B.K.Leach; the Kingıs Lake area
first (this is where the Black-necked Stilt was seen today), old Leach (the
southern part) second, and then Bittern Basin and Prairie Slough which is
right next to Bittern Basin.  If there is time we may try to hit one of the
places south of Leach such as Winfield Dam, the Keeteman Rd sod farms or
Firma Rd.  However, a scouting trip through the latter two spots today did
not turn up much of interest.  There was far more good habitat and numbers
of birds within B.K.Leach.

What to bring:  Lunch, binoculars and scopes, FRS radios tuned to 11:22,
water.

Leader:  John Solodar

Directions:  From the St. Louis area take I-70 west past the airport to exit
220 which is Hwy 79.   Turn south on Hwy 79 to the Dierbergs lot on the
right after you cross back over I-70.   This spot is about 15 minutes drive
from the airport.   From the carpool location we will take Hwy 79 north thru
Winfield and Foley.   Do not try to get to B.K.Leach from the Highway sign
via County Rd M as a bridge on M is closed.   Continue until you see signs
for County Rd JJ, a welcome to Elsberry sign and a bridge over a creek all
together on the right hand side.   Immediately after passing over this
bridge turn right.  This is Hatfield Rd.  There is a slight pullout a little
ways on the right and we will meet there.  If the carpool group gets out of
the Dierbergıs lot by 8:10 we should be at the meeting place on Hatfield Rd
in about 30 minutes or around 8:40 am.

John Solodar

8135 Cornell Court
St. Louis, MO 63130-3639