If you want another raptor attack story, this is one of the best I have heard:  A friend of mine lives in California and is an expert hang glider pilot.  One time he was soaring a ridge and he saw a golden eagle sitting down below in a tree on the edge of the ridge.  He thought he would be clever and barn storm eagle, swooping in real low just over the eagle.  He did that the first time, and the eagle, quite startled, flew away to another tree, again on the edge of the ridge.  So he did it again, swooping in and barely missing the now angered eagle.  Then he lost sight of the eagle thinking it had flown away.  It had not.  A few minutes later he heard a loud "bang" on the top of his hang glider wing, then moments later another loud bang.  Now he was freaked out.  He then noticed the eagle attacking him from above.  He landed this hang glider only to find the top of this wing was seriously torn to shreds where the eagle had torn holes in the fabric.  Turn-about is fair play.  That is the last time he tried that stunt.

Jim Fossard
Springfield

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Doyen
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 10:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: When Red-Shouldered Hawks attack...

Some years ago I watched a Red Shouldered Hawk, on the wing, pull a squirrel off one of my feeders. The hawk had to rotate 90 degrees on his attach run seeing the squirrel was on the pole, as he approached the squirrel he seemed to stop in flight for a second as his talons reached out to grab the squirrel, by the time the squirrel realized what was about the happen it was all over. Amazing sight to witness..

Mike Doyen
Rolla, MO

Pablo Neruda.