MOBirders, there will be people and materials about the Avian Conservation Alliance of the Americas at a table in the registration area during the Spring ASM Meeting in Columbia. Come prepared to take time to learn more about the wonderful things this group is doing and how you, too, can get engaged to support our Missouri migrants during their time in Central America.

Susan
--
Susan Hazelwood, MOBirds-L Co-Owner
Columbia, Boone County, MO

-------------- Original message from John and Nancy Solodar <[log in to unmask]>: --------------

MOBirders:

Please read the article below that first appeared in the Spring 2009 newsletter of Audubon Missouri.  It was written by Charlie Burwick and Brad Jacobs.  It discusses efforts being made to preserve the winter habitat of our Missouri migrant birds and the statewide work that is underway to support these efforts.    There is additional information in the April 2009 issue of the Missouri Conservationist in an article by Kelly Gillespie.   The latter article contains a map of exactly where our Missouri migrants spend the winter.

John Solodar

St. Louis, MO 63130-3639

Ninety-five percent of Missouri’s migratory birds spend the winter months in Central and South
America. The anticipation of the arrival of these birds in the next few weeks is cause for great excitement each
spring. Images of tiny, colorful, captivating wood warblers flash through our minds, and we hope to be
lucky enough to position ourselves in their midst on their journey north each spring. Of course, there are
many other species that will return, passing through or summering in Missouri. Many will nest in the Missouri
Ozarks, one of the richest and ecologically diverse areas in the central US; much of it identified as Important
Bird Areas (IBA). There has been growing awareness, concern, and action to protect breeding bird
habitat in North America. However, nearly half of our birds spend three-quarters of their lives in
Central and South America. Human population growth has significant adverse impact on the habitat of
birds in many of these countries—many without financial or political resources to protect these
threatened areas. This is why eight Missouri Audubon Chapters, The Nature Conservancy (TNC), the
Missouri Conservation Heritage Foundation (MCHF), the St. Louis Rainforest Advocates and the
Missouri Department of Conservation launched a partnership called the “Avian Conservation Alliance
of the Americas” (ACAA). The Alliance’s primary objective is to collect, leverage and provide direct
and matching funds for bird conservation projects for the selected target area, Pico Bonito National
Park in Honduras. The overarching purpose is habitat conservation for Missouri’s breeding birds on
their wintering grounds and for the associated resident birds in this Latin American host country.

Funds raised are used as match for Neotropical Migratory Bird Conservation Act (NMBCA) grants
submitted by the American Bird Conservancy (ABC). Other objectives include providing volunteer
opportunities on projects; supplying Spanish language bird books and education materials; acquiring
bird monitoring, banding and observational equipment and organizing training for eco-tourism guides,
park guards, bird banding, operational funds, and other project needs to Latin American conservation
partners.

The Alliance has developed a funding model that leverages funds multiple times through matching
grants at the state level and at least once at the national level. Last year funds were leveraged eight-fold:
Every dollar raised provided eight dollars for on-the-ground conservation in Honduras. Last year,
almost $85,000 was raised from an initial $10,000 pledged by Audubon chapters in Missouri.

This year, we’ve set a goal to raise $15,000. Now it’s your opportunity to contribute in a big way toward the
survival of our feathered friends. If you’d like to give a little, or a lot, to educate, protect, and restore
the habitat at Pico Bonito National Park, Honduras contact John Solodar, Treasurer of St. Louis Audubon,
solodar@sbcglobal, 8135 Cornell Court, St. Louis, MO 63130 or call 314-862-5294 for more information.
In addition you can contact Kelly Gillespie, a member of Burroughs Audubon Society and the chairwoman of ACAA , at [log in to unmask] or by
phone 816.779.7391 or Charlie Burwick through Greater Ozarks Audubon Society at
PO Box 3231,
Springfield, Missouri 65808-3231.  All the organizations that are supporting this effort are non-profits.