This morning I birded Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, Missouri.

I tallied fifteen (15) species of waterfowl: Greater White-fronted Goose, Snow Goose, Ross's Goose (33 of these in a flock by themselves, no Snow Goose among them), Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Gadwall, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Hooded Merganser and Ruddy Duck.

American White Pelican, Double-crested Cormorant, FOY for me and "Bird of the Day" was an AMERICAN BITTERN, Great Blue Heron and Great Egret.

Turkey Vulture, Bald Eagle (near the nest site), Northern Harrier, Red-tailed Hawk and just outside the entrance was American Kestrel.

American Coot (thousands) and I heard Sandhill Crane calls but was not able to see them.

Killdeer, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpipers and Ring-billed Gulls.

Mourning Dove, Belted Kingfisher, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Eastern Phoebe, Blue Jay, American Crow, Tree Swallow, Barn Swallow, Black-capped Chickadee, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Eastern Bluebird, European Starling, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Field Sparrow (FOY), Savannah Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, Common Grackle and Brown-headed Cowbird.

Coming back to Saint Joseph I found Purple Martins in Forest City and Wild Turkey near the outskirts of Saint Joseph.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
gcrownkinglet AT yahoo DOT com
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/