Dear Nancy,

Returning to the theme of war in TWL, has anyone mentioned Pound's expressions of disgust about WWI in his 1920 poem "Hugh Selwyn Mauberly?"

"IV.

These fought, in any case,
and some believing, pro domo, in any case ..

Some quick to arm,
some for adventure,
some from fear of weakness,
some from fear of censure,
some for love of slaughter, in imagination,
learning later ...

some in fear, learning love of slaughter;
Died some pro patria, non dulce non et decor" ..

walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men's lies, then unbelieving
came home, home to a lie,
home to many deceits,
home to old lies and new infamy;

usury age-old and age-thick
and liars in public places.

Daring as never before, wastage as never before.
Young blood and high blood,
Fair cheeks, and fine bodies;

fortitude as never before

frankness as never before,
disillusions as never told in the old days,
hysterias, trench confessions,
laughter out of dead bellies.

V.

There died a myriad,
And of the best, among them,
For an old bitch gone in the teeth,
For a botched civilization."

"Dulce et Decorum Est" by Wilfrid Owen, written in 1917 during the war, and published posthumously in 1920 also used the phrase from Horace's ode ironically. The complete line in Horace, used by supporters of the war to inspire patriotism, reads "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori," "It is sweet and right to die for the homeland."

In "Mauberly" dying "pro patria" is neither sweet nor right. The poem also expresses a TWL-esque view of civilization generally.

I'm not sure whether the politics of Eliot and Pound differed very much in 1920. My sense is that they were similar in outlook at that point and diverged later (at least nominally.)

Eliot's 1935 poem "Rannoch, by Glencoe" about a famous Scotland massacre, is a meditation on war and violence, and indicates that he was still emotionally affected by the immense waste of young life in the trenches, as if young men like the deer hunted at Rannoch, were born and raised to die:

"here the patient stag
Breeds for the rifle."

Eliot's

Diana