It is interesting to follow his use of the word SOUL in the early poems and prose: eg, in "Preludes" and TATIT.

Cheers,

P.

On Apr 7, 2009, Diana Manister <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Eliot converted to Anglicanism in 1939, didn't he?

I can't see that he was drifting towards Christianity when he wrote TWL either. It seems to contradict itself with regard to religious beliefs. Buddhism and Christianity have different cosmologies, both of which make appearances in the poem.

Diana

> Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 07:44:04 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Rock symbolism in Eliot's Poetry
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> At 04:54 AM 4/6/2009, Nancy Gish wrote:
> >When Eliot wrote "Prufrock" (it was a name on a sign in St. Louis), he was
> >not a Christian, nor was he then wishing to be a Jesuit; by his own
> >account he considered being a Buddhist. He wrote it in 1911-12, long
> >before his conversion.
>
> On the other hand, Poems 1920 clearly show his attention centered Christ
> and Christianity, and the fact that he had not yet formally converted to
> the Anglican communion does not dispel at all the direction in which he was
> heading. One comment made aside does not counterindicate anything. And
> there certainly are rocks everywhere in his poetry, the lead stone of
> Burbank being as telling as any.

> >Thanks, Rick.
> >
> >2. I also wonder if there is any connection between the "red rock" in TWL
> >and the "blue rocks" in Ash-Wednesday where the protagonist undergoes his
> >spiritual ordeal.
>

> The red rock is the church. As Guy Brown showed in Burbank, these lines
> -- Princess Volupine extends/
> A meagre, blue-nailed, phthisic hand -- play off of both the spiritual
> and the sensual, but lead ultimately to the waterstair.
>
> The impetus and direction of the poetry are not all that difficult to discern.
>
> Ken A

Rediscover Hotmail®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. Check it out.