I'm in Scotland trying to get used to this laptop.  But as Eliot himself said more than once, he is not the only or best reader of his work.  I think reading Eliot through his own prose produced a long limitation and even at times distortion of his work.  I don't think we can assume either that he knew Antigone better than any other prepared reader or that his views of it necessarily tell us anything about his work.  They may or may not, but quoting Eliot to understand Eliot is not always illuminating and is sometimes the reverse, especially on issues where he says conflicting things at different times.
Cheers,
Nancy
P.S.  The idea of Creon as protagonist is not universally shared, and there are differing views on it.  I agree partly but not entirely with Carroll, but right now writing on this thing is very slow.

>>> Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]> 4/2/2009 3:13 AM >>>
Thanks for the spirited and very informative reply, Carrol.
I learned a lot from it. The fact remains, however, that
Eliot thought what he thought, and it seems to me that
he may have seen his own work, and especially TWL
as reflecting the idea that the social ethos has a role in
shaping the mind of the more conscious individual. In effect the
genesis of TWL, and perhaps of much of E.'s anxiety at the
time, may well have been WWI and its effects on the culture.
The general malaise and angst of the time are reflected in the poem.
Some of it comes from his personal experience, undoubtedly,
though it has undergone artistic accomdodations to fit in the poem.
But some of it, mainly the subtext I think, reflects the influence
of the ethos on Eliot, his mood, his thinking.

As for Antigone, don't forget that Eliot used it as the base element for
The Elderstatesman, which, as a synthesis of theatre and poetry,
is probably his most successful play, even if The Cocktail Party
seems to have gotten most of the attention.

As I remember, there was a production of TCP in the mid-80s
with renowned British actress, the late Sheila Gish pllaying Celia.

Cheers,
Peter