Dear Nancy,

It is uncharacteristic of you to ascribe a monomeaning to a poem. Surely Eliot's remarks about the Scottish massacre, which he did not experience, would naturally be associated by him with a war he did experience, albeit not on the battlefield.

Diana

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 18:05:38 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The Waste Land and the War
To: [log in to unmask]

These are interesting but late poems about WWII, and they are not really very good.  "Rannoch" is early and brilliant, I think.  But it's about the English/Scottish wars and specifically about the massacre at Glencoe.
Cheers,
Nancy

Diana Manister wrote:

> Returning to the theme of war in TWL, has anyone mentioned Pound's
> expressions of disgust about WWI in his 1920 poem "Hugh Selwyn Mauberly?"

Not totally on topic but since you also mentioned "Rannoch, by Glencoe"
perhaps you should look at Eliot's poems that are undeniably war poems:
"Defense of the Islands," "A note on War Poetry" and "To the Indians Who
Died in Africa."

Regards,
    Rick Parker

Rediscover HotmailŪ: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox.
http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Updates2_042009