Dear Diana,

I don't really keep up on Pound, but I would think someone must have.

I don't think Eliot's reaction to Rannoch was so much connected to WWI
as to the condition of his own life in 1934, but he was clearly deeply
affected, and I think it stayed with him as a major emotional source in
his work.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> Diana Manister <[log in to unmask]> 4/18/2009 9:47 AM >>>
Dear Nancy,

Returning to the theme of war in TWL, has anyone mentioned Pound's
expressions of disgust about WWI in his 1920 poem "Hugh Selwyn
Mauberly?"

"IV.

These fought, in any case,
and some believing, pro domo, in any case ..

Some quick to arm,
some for adventure,
some from fear of weakness,
some from fear of censure,
some for love of slaughter, in imagination,
learning later ...

some in fear, learning love of slaughter;
Died some pro patria, non dulce non et decor" ..

walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men's lies, then unbelieving
came home, home to a lie,
home to many deceits,
home to old lies and new infamy;

usury age-old and age-thick
and liars in public places.

Daring as never before, wastage as never before.
Young blood and high blood,
Fair cheeks, and fine bodies;

fortitude as never before

frankness as never before,
disillusions as never told in the old days,
hysterias, trench confessions,
laughter out of dead bellies.

V.

There died a myriad,
And of the best, among them,
For an old bitch gone in the teeth,
For a botched civilization."

"Dulce et Decorum Est" by Wilfrid Owen, written in 1917 during the war,
and published posthumously in 1920 also used the phrase from Horace's
ode ironically. The complete line in Horace, used by supporters of the
war to inspire patriotism, reads "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori,"
"It is sweet and right to die for the homeland."

In "Mauberly" dying "pro patria" is neither sweet nor right. The poem
also expresses a TWL-esque view of civilization generally.

I'm not sure whether the politics of Eliot and Pound differed very much
in 1920. My sense is that they were similar in outlook at that point and
diverged later (at least nominally.)

Eliot's 1935 poem "Rannoch, by Glencoe" about a famous Scotland
massacre, is a meditation on war and violence, and indicates that he was
still emotionally affected by the immense waste of young life in the
trenches, as if young men like the deer hunted at Rannoch, were born and
raised to die:

"here the patient stag
Breeds for the rifle."

Eliot's