1926

Diana Manister wrote:

> Eliot converted to Anglicanism in 1939, didn't he?

No, in the late '20s or so. (Someone will surely give the precise
date).

> I can't see that he was drifting towards Christianity when he wrote
TWL either. It seems to contradict itself with regard to religious
beliefs. Buddhism and Christianity have different cosmologies, both of
which make appearances in the poem.

To read his early poems as Christian takes away the power of his
conversion, making it rather dull. Emphasize the lack of religious
belief in the earlier poems and the conversion becomes more
impressive.
In any case, what one person does or doesn't believe does not make
anything more or less true.

Carrp;

> Diana
>
> > Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 07:44:04 -0400
> > From: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: Re: Rock symbolism in Eliot's Poetry
> > To: [log in to unmask]
> >
> > At 04:54 AM 4/6/2009, Nancy Gish wrote:
> > >When Eliot wrote "Prufrock" (it was a name on a sign in St.
Louis), he was
> > >not a Christian, nor was he then wishing to be a Jesuit; by his
own
> > >account he considered being a Buddhist. He wrote it in 1911-12,
long
> > >before his conversion.
> >
> > On the other hand, Poems 1920 clearly show his attention centered
Christ
> > and Christianity, and the fact that he had not yet formally
converted to
> > the Anglican communion does not dispel at all the direction in
which he was
> > heading. One comment made aside does not counterindicate anything.
And
> > there certainly are rocks everywhere in his poetry, the lead stone
of
> > Burbank being as telling as any.

> > >Thanks, Rick.
> > >
> > >2. I also wonder if there is any connection between the "red rock"
in TWL
> > >and the "blue rocks" in Ash-Wednesday where the protagonist
undergoes his
> > >spiritual ordeal.
> >

> > The red rock is the church. As Guy Brown showed in Burbank, these
lines
> > -- Princess Volupine extends/
> > A meagre, blue-nailed, phthisic hand -- play off of both the
spiritual
> > and the sensual, but lead ultimately to the waterstair.
> >
> > The impetus and direction of the poetry are not all that difficult
to discern.

> > Ken A

> Rediscover HotmailĀ®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox.
Check it out.