If you read the landscape poems, of which this is one, you find images
and phrases that later appear, a bit altered, in 4Q.  They seem to be
ways of working out poems of landscape that he later developed.  I think
"Rannoch" is different, but the return to ancient history and the Stuart
king in Little Gidding and other images are all part of a developing
focus in Eliot on the individual's place in a larger history.  So in
this case, I do not intend a "monomeaning" at all, only an emphasis on
the tendency of his poetry in this period to be addressing that wider
interest.  Obviously, how that works is very open.  But if one knows
what Glencoe means in Scotland, it is impossible to think he could not
have encountered the attitudes it evokes, even now, when he was here.
(As I am at the moment.)
It is the case that some places and events take on a permanent
connection like, say, the Somme or Flanders Fields.  Seeing those words,
one does not think about WWII or Iraq except in some very distant sense
of war in general, but their power is in the specific event.  Rannoch
uses the place to evoke something much larger about the Scottish/English
connection.

I don't see any suggestion that it is associated with WWI in any
particular way because Glencoe is not really recalled because of war but
because of betrayal.  It is the 9th circle, not just wrath.

Nancy

>>> Diana Manister <[log in to unmask]> 4/19/2009 9:36 AM >>>
Dear Nancy,

It is uncharacteristic of you to ascribe a monomeaning to a poem.
Surely Eliot's remarks about the Scottish massacre, which he did not
experience, would naturally be associated by him with a war he did
experience, albeit not on the battlefield.

Diana