From: Nancy Gish
On the line you quote, it clearly draws on Dante, as all the notes of all
scholars have noted for decades, but it also evokes the dead of the War and
Eliot's own reactions to it--as is so intense in the material Rickard sent.
And it is also a response to the London life of his own experience.  These
are also not my own new notes, just what has been pointed to by others, but
the letter to the Nation is fascinating.
Interesting. In what way is it fascinating?

When I first visited London in the late 60s, having finished an MA on TWL,
and preparing
material for my doctorate at the British Meuseum, I visited the places
referenced in TWL.
I was very surprised (naively so perhaps) to discover the Royal Stock
Exchange
(of course no longer being used in the late 60s) right at the centre of the
City.
All the streets radiate from it. It was the magnate of the economy of the
British Empire, very
much a symbol of the deadening economic forces that it housed. I have always
wondered
a bit, why Eliot didn't use such a potent symbol of the syndrome he was
exploring.
Maybe he did and I just missed it.

P.