> Nancy Gish wrote:
>
> As you know, my "fuss" was in response to the silly and offensive
> remark about envy, not at all about Eliot and Dante.

I have evidence which I am not permitted to divulge that Peter
Montgomery is actually a secretary (female) to a French legislator, who
spends her free time creating false fronts throug which she can try on
different personae. Besides Peter, she has also created a character on a
e-list that appeals to spanking enthusiasts, a 90-year old woman in
India who has spent her life attempting to prove that it is more
dangerous to swim in Southern California than to climb mountains in
Tibet, and a retired haberdasher in Jamaica who specializes in study of
chemical variations in jade jewelry from China. There are several others
but little information  is available on them. It is said that usually
she selects her the names of her personae from obituary lists in obscure
locations. Perhaps she picked up the name Peter MOntgomery while
vacationing in the Falkland Islands some years ago. I was doubtful of
all this until I showed two of Peter's posts to a friend, who cast them
aside with a snarl, No man alive eer writ such nonsense.

Carrol