Peter Montgomery wrote:

> It's not that the influence necessarily shows up in his poetry
> in terms of specific, obvious allusions, but unless he was wrong in
> his own observations, we have his word for the importance of the influence.
> Given that he took to memorizing whole passages of the COMMEDIA
> in the original, it is hard to think that his poetic sensibilities and
> perceptions of
> his own world were not conditioned by such an exercise.

But what you say about Eliot here applies equally to Ezra Pound & P.B.
Shelley: all three emormously influenced AS POETS by Dante. There is no
evidence that Dante as _thinker_ ever had much influence on any of the
three (exept, perhaps, Pound). Certainly Eliot's later Christianity
shows very little DAntean influence.

Carrol