Peter Montgomery wrote:

> Thanks for the spirited and very informative reply, Carrol.
> I learned a lot from it. The fact remains, however, that
> Eliot thought what he thought,

Yes. In fact I had intended to mention that, though leave further
comment on it for later. "X thought what X thought" is, in fact, a
tautology, not affected directly by whether that thought was correct or
incorrect.

Carrol

Note: I have a colonoscopy at 9a.m. tomorrow, and all I'm going to be
doing all night long (until I leave for the hospital at 8am) is drinking
clear fluids and shitting (with occasional naps perhaps). I can't read
because I can't see the texts, so in between shitting & slurping I've
only this machine in front of me plus palying solitaire to keep me
entertained. Hence my reply at 2am cdt.