At 04:54 AM 4/6/2009, Nancy Gish wrote:
>When Eliot wrote "Prufrock" (it was a name on a sign in St. Louis), he was
>not a Christian, nor was he then wishing to be a Jesuit; by his own
>account he considered being a Buddhist.   He wrote it in 1911-12, long
>before his conversion.

  On the other hand, Poems 1920 clearly show his attention centered Christ
and Christianity, and the fact that he had not yet formally converted to
the Anglican communion does not dispel at all the direction in which he was
heading. One comment made aside does not counterindicate anything.  And
there certainly are rocks everywhere in his poetry, the lead stone of
Burbank being as telling as any.

>Thanks, Rick.
>
>2.  I also wonder if there is any connection between the "red rock" in TWL
>and the "blue rocks" in Ash-Wednesday where the protagonist undergoes his
>spiritual ordeal.

   The red rock is the church. As Guy Brown showed in Burbank, these lines
-- Princess Volupine extends/
   A meagre, blue-nailed, phthisic hand --  play off of both the spiritual
and the sensual, but lead ultimately to the waterstair.

The impetus and direction of the poetry are not all that difficult to discern.

Ken A