It was overcast to clearing and very windy all morning while I birded the oxbow lakes area south of Saint Joseph.

Although there were many Blue-winged and Green-winged Teal at my first stop at the pool adjacent to Nelson Road, there was no Cinnamon Teal in evidence (7:45 AM). * I did find it quite easily later (about 10:30 AM) in this pool. It was paying a lot of attention to a disinterested female Blue-winged Teal. He was keeping very close to her and doing a lot of "head bobbing". (Some sort of courtship ritual, I presume.) Anyway, tallying up the waterfowl in this pool and the oxbow lakes in the area, I ended up with nineteen (19) species. * Also of interest, I found another male Cinnamon Teal on the west end of Lake Contrary. So I two CITE this morning!

Waterfow list: Greater White-fronted Goose, Snow Goose, Ross's Goose, Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal, Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Canvasback, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Hooded Merganser and Ruddy Duck.

The only shorebirds I observed were Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Wilson's Snipe and Killdeer.

Many Savannah and Vesper Sparrow were in evidence along the road sides as I drove around the area. I did not see any other sparrow. High wind, you know!

On the levy along Contrary Creek I saw my FOY Hermit Thrush. * I usually get the HETH much earlier in the year, but for some reason missed it until today.

Ended the morning with 60 species.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
gcrownkinglet AT yahoo DOT com