I saw a bird like this March 30, 2009 on a slough just south of Saint Joseph this morning. I did not have a camera with me, so I "doctored up" a head shot of a normally plumaged, male Blue-winged Teal. My first reaction was that it was a hybrid Blue-winged Teal X Garganey, but after studying it a while I think it is just an aberrantly plumaged Blue-winged Teal. The body plumage was the same as a normal BWTE, only this white, head streak (joining together on the hindneck was different.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11503968@N00/3399060559/

Opinions?

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO