We have been treated to some really nice close up photos of American Golden Plovers in the last few days. I had not realized how neat and pretty (in a subdued way) is their basic plumage. Since they already have it when they come south in fall, I would have thought it would look pretty worn by now. I wonder if they undergo another molt shortly before coming back north. By May, the black is coming in. Does anyone know if that is still another molt, or if the basic plumage wears off to reveal the black as occurs with the longspurs?

Bob Fisher
Independence, MO
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/