This evening I took a walk out to Wetland Unit #2 in the McBaine bottoms.   Last spring/summer it was inundated with flood waters, and it now appears that most of the cattail growth is gone.   However, there are extensive mudflats and shallow water.  I watched a flock of Least Sandpipers (about 25) whirl in their tight formation for about 3 solid minutes before decided to settle in.  Lots of GW Teal, and a few woodies, mallards, shovelers.

If the conditions remain unchanged, this could be good shorebird habitat - Columbia birders might want to add it to their list of places to check this spring.

Jean Leonatti
Boone County, Columbia, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/