Continuing with the portmanteau theme of Josh's ruddlehead duck, I birded in
the St. Warren/Charles area this morning for several hours, joined at times
by Shawn Ashbaugh and Jim Jackson.
Twenty-seven golden plovers continue at the alfalfa field on Augusta Bottoms
Rd.  They were accompanied by a few killdeer and pectoral sandpipers.
Several fish crows were heard and seen carrying nest materials.
At Voelkerding Slough later in the morning the wind began to freshen so
sparrows were holding pretty tight and difficult to see.  I did see several
swamp sparrows and song sparrows.  Newly arrived field and chipping sparrows
were seen along the Katy Trail.
Shorebird numbers are increasing at the west end of the reserve.  Shawn and
I saw about 40 pectorals, 5-6 Wilson's snipe, 1 short-billed dowitcher, a
few killdeer and Shawn saw a single pipit that I could not relocate. We saw
a feeding group of rusty blackbirds at the western terminus of the
circumferential berm, about 18-20 birds. Wood Ducks seemed to be everywhere
in the slough.
I saw a cooper's hawk chase a robin across highway 47 at the Dutzow
stoplight.
Don Hays