This evening I took a walk out to Wetland Unit #2 in the McBaine bottoms.
Last spring/summer it was inundated with flood waters, and it now appears
that most of the cattail growth is gone.   However, there are extensive
mudflats and shallow water.  I watched a flock of Least Sandpipers (about
25) whirl in their tight formation for about 3 solid minutes before decided
to settle in.  Lots of GW Teal, and a few woodies, mallards, shovelers.

If the conditions remain unchanged, this could be good shorebird habitat -
Columbia birders might want to add it to their list of places to check this
spring.
Jean Leonatti
Boone County, Columbia, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/