The weekly Bill Clark CACH trip headed west on I-70 today with hopes
of seeing birds without too many turn arounds due to flooded roads.

First stop was tiny DeBourgmont Access just off I-70 at Hwy. 41 along
the flooe-swollen Lamine River.  We added 2 species to the site
checklist (now at 51), including a Red-shouldered Hawk and FOY BROWN
THRASHER.

At Concordia's Edwin A. Pape Lake, 5 new species were added, bringing
the checklist total to 65.  Among the additions were a lone RUSTY
BLACKBIRD and VESPER SPARROW.  42 Double-crested Cormorants were
coming and going around the lake; 15 Tree Swallows were working hard.

The third stop was a CACHE target area, Ralph and Martha Perry Mem.
Conservation Area.  This is a large, diverse, under-birded area south
of Concordia and north of Knob Noster, along Hwy. 23.  We brought the
checklist up from 93 to 98 species.  Additions include 200 AMERICAN
WHITE PELICANS, a lone GREATER YELLOWLEGS, and a couple of lingering
Purple Finches.

Lunch was at a restaurant in downtown Concordia with a woman's name I
can't recall, but should, because it is worth recommending.  Catfish
special included really good hush puppies.  Pies were excellent.
Didn't have room to try the bread pudding, too.

Our great lunches slowed us down a bit.  At Bothwell Lodge SHS north
of Sedalia, we added only two species to the checklist: Wild Turkey
and Western Meadowlark.

Swinging Bridge Access, upstream from DeBourgmont, was barely
accessible.  We had to change our route toward home because of water
over the road north of the access.  We added only 2 species, to give
the access a total of 29.  One addition was SAVANNAH SPARROW (6),
newly arrived to central MO.

Full lists on CACH and SPARKS.

Maybe we should start a spot on the ASM webpage for hinterland cafe
reviews.  It really helps to know a good place to head for lunch!

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO