From: "Miller, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Mar 12, 2009 1:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Gulls in ag fields?

During this time of year, it is common to see large gatherings of gulls in agriculture fields.  For instance, in the last couple of days I saw a large number in a soybean field.  After the long winter and being hit hard by geese, I find it hard to believe that the gulls are feeding on waste grain.  So, what are they feeding on?  I understand the invertebrates exposed when the field is being plowed and the gull flock to them, but does anyone know just what they are attracted to right now?  Just curious…..

Terry L. Miller

Kearney HS

Clay Co., MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/