An advanced birder by the name of Mark Stevenson called us this morning to
report a rare sighting of a Great Gray Owl.  Realizing how rare this was, I was
not the only person who talked to him - I also had one of our advanced
birders who sits on our board to talk to him as well so that some appropriate
questions could be asked.  Mark lives in the Valentine district in Kansas City,
Missouri.

Mark knows, without doubt that:
     1.  An owl, after being disrupted by some robins left a group of trees, flew
over him, and landed to roost in some conifers at the North end of Mill Creek
Park.  Immediately assuming it was a hawk, he went in for a closer look and
realized it was an owl.
     2.  The owl had no contrasting or highly visible markings or barring on its
chest.
     3.  The owl was (very) dark gray and was even darker in the face with no
chestnut brown or white that he could see.  It was a sunny day and the
lighting was excellent.
     4.  After viewing it for several minutes, it showed no ears.
     5.  It was NOT a Great Horned Owl or a Barred Owl.  The owl was Dk. Gray
and had no brown or chestnut coloring.
     6.  He does not recall the color of its eyes and because the owl was high
up in the trees, he was not able to see if it had the "white moustache"

I am posting this for Mark Stevenson.  He realizes that this posting will
be "debated" and welcomes anyone's questions or debate: Please email him at
[log in to unmask]  Mill Creek Park is an inner city park on the
East side of Broadway between 43rd & 47th Streets across from St. Lukes
Hospital.  The are many very tall trees, two water features (one fountain and
a pond) and a 2 mile walking trail.  Mark, myself, and another advanced birder
went to Mill Creek tonight to see if it would return and to look for
owl "evidence" at the base of some of the trees.  Some evidence was found
but nothing significant.

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/