Subject: Patagial-tagged Ring-billed Gull
From: "Ron and Dollyann" <aves7000 AT bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 21:34:39 -0500

TN-birders,
February 19, 2009 found Dollyann and I at the Concord Marina in west Knox
County looking for the female Long-tailed Duck that had been reported (we
were
sucessful). While we were at the marina we noticed a Ring-billed Gull that
had
some orange patagial flags (tags attached to the leading edge off the wings
near the body). I managed to take a couple of photos of the gull and sent
them
off to the bird banding lab (bbl AT usgs.gov). We just got back from a short
week
trip and found the following email. I thought TN-birders would be
interested.

Great birding,
Ron Hoff
Clinton, TN

Ron and Dollyann,

Thank you for your report and photos of the orange patagial-tagged
ring-billed
gull that you observed on 19 February 2009 at the Concord Marina in west
Knox
County, Tennessee. This gull was one of 725 ring-billed gulls we tagged in
Chicago, IL in 2007 as part of a study to determine gull reactions to egg
oiling. We marked the gulls with either orange (150 tags), green (203 tags),
royal blue (222 tags) or yellow (150) wing tags. Although this study was
originally set up to study local gull movements we have been noticing a
difference in the reporting rates for the various colored tags. As a result
am very interested in any observations regarding the different tag colors.
Should you spot tagged birds with any of the above colors we would
appreciate
learning of your observations. At the moment, the yellow and orange tags are
being observed more frequently (about 2:1) than the blue or green tags.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to send in the information on your
observation. Work such as this could not be accomplished without folks like
yourself taking the time to send in your observations. Thanks again and keep
your eyes peeled for some other Chicago gulls in your area!

Tom

Thomas W. Seamans
Wildlife Biologist
USDA/Wildlife Services/National Wildlife Research Center-Ohio Field Station
6100 Columbus Avenue
Sandusky, Ohio 44870-9660
phone: 419-625-0242
fax: 419-625-8465