From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of William Rowe
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 7:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Both meadowlark spp. at Columbia Bottom

In the course of doing a four-hour census at Columbia Bottom CA, St.
Louis Co., yesterday, I found both species of meadowlark singing.
They were segregated, however, with 6 Westerns perched to the right
of the paved drive within its first mile, just before it reaches the
levee and turns east, and a number of Easterns (8 or more) singing in
fields much farther along, on either side of the drive between the
boat dock and the big ramp.

I also found ducks numerous but bunched together where the water was
open, with Pintails seeming to equal or exceed Mallards (maybe 1000
of each?), a nice showing of Green-winged Teal (maybe 200), and a few
other species in small numbers.  Some White-fronted Geese grazed a
grassy area with Canadas, and a few Snows went overhead.  Sparrows
were abundant, especially Eurasian Tree, American Tree, Song, and
White-crown, with lesser numbers of White-throat, Swamp, Field,
Savannah, and junco.  A distant Merlin powered down from the tree
line and scared up a flock of sparrows.  No sign of the Harlan's Hawk
that was present a month ago.

Nice clear day, but mighty cold when the wind gusted -- as it did a lot.

Bill Rowe
St. Louis

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/