To all Mobirds-L readers:

First, a resounding thanks to everyone who has already submitted
documentation to the Missouri Bird Records Committee via the on-line
system.  It seems to be working well and not at all difficult to
use.  Most of you must have made the transition just fine, as I now
receive relatively few documentations by regular mail or email.  I'd
like to make just a few points about the system:

1)  To everyone who may need to document something but is feeling
unsure about doing it on line, I have a mixed message:  I would
really like you to give it a try because it saves me considerable
trouble if you do it on line!  (All docs need to be available for
Committee members to view on line; therefore, If you mail me a doc, I
have to scan it and then upload it myself into a "dummy" doc form
that Patrick Harrison has created for me.)  On the other hand, I
don't want anything to go undocumented, and I am quite willing to
help out by handling it myself at this end, if the system causes you
trouble and you would prefer to continue sending me things.

2)  I must remind everyone that you can easily upload your own
photographs into your docs.  There are two requirements:  they have
to be in jpg (jpeg) format, and they have to be no more than 768 kB
in size.  If you mail the photos to me as prints, I have to go
through similar steps to put them up on line by scanning them first.
If you email them to me as jpgs, then I will gladly upload them for
you (but you could have done it too).

3)  The one issue with jpg images that does cause trouble is when the
file size is too large.  In that case, I have to use a "resizer" tool
(again, thanks to Patrick) to get them down below the kB limit so I
can upload them for you.  In this case, my request is obvious:  if
you are going to forward the images to me for uploading, please check
the size, and then resize them yourself first if necessary.

4)  My standard offer:  If you are at all uncertain whether to
document a particular record, please contact me at this email
address.  In some cases the answer is cut and dried; other times I
have to make a judgment call.  Occasionally I will ask other
committee members what they think before giving you the word.  You
should always start by looking at the on-line Annotated Checklist at
www.mobirds.org, but that sometimes does leave questions open, so
please feel free to ask.

Finally, I want to thank Patrick again publicly for his many long
hours of work in getting this system running, and his patience in
fielding my (usually clueless) questions and working the bugs out for
us.

Best to all,

Bill Rowe
Secretary, MBRC