From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Scheu
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Sunglasses for birding

I'm a nearsighted birder who has no choice but to bird through glasses. Which is not a problem really, except when the sun is bright enough that I can't get by with just a wide-brimmed hat. Currently I wear the type of fit-over sunglasses popular with fishermen, but the extra lenses blur the image and reduce the field of view by keeping the binocular eyepieces too far from my eyes. So in most situations I remove the sunglasses before lifting binoculars to eyes. Which, oddly enough, takes exactly the same amount of time as it takes the average passerine to find cover.

So, I've been considering prescription sunglasses, and wondered if any MOBirders have good or bad experience birding with same. I'm curious about contrast-enhancing tints like amber, but wonder if they'll complicate ID by distorting color. Also wondering if polarized lenses used in conjunction with optics might cause strange cloudy effects, like they sometimes do with car windows and cell-phone screens.

Thanks in advance,

David Scheu

St. Louis, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/