I'm a nearsighted birder who has no choice but to bird through glasses.
Which is not a problem really, except when the sun is bright enough that
I can't get by with just a wide-brimmed hat. Currently I wear the type
of fit-over sunglasses popular with fishermen, but the extra lenses blur
the image and reduce the field of view by keeping the binocular
eyepieces too far from my eyes. So in most situations I remove the
sunglasses before lifting binoculars to eyes. Which, oddly enough, takes
exactly the same amount of time as it takes the average passerine to
find cover.

So, I've been considering prescription sunglasses, and wondered if any
MOBirders have good or bad experience birding with same. I'm curious
about contrast-enhancing tints like amber, but wonder if they'll
complicate ID by distorting color. Also wondering if polarized lenses
used in conjunction with optics might cause strange cloudy effects, like
they sometimes do with car windows and cell-phone screens.

Thanks in advance,

David Scheu

St. Louis, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/