Just after dawn this morning, I noticed a pair of ducks on the lake behind our house with a silhouette that was very different from the Mallards and Goldeneyes which have been present.  On closer inspection, I realized that they were Hooded Mergansers -- FOY for me.  What a fun surprise!  Unfortunately, they didn't linger long.  Within a few minutes they had taken off, heading northeast -- maybe for Smithville Lake?

Good birding!
Susan Seyboth
Kansas City, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/