Today my wife Debbi and I drove all the way to Breckenridge, MO to see the
Snowy Owl. We took a lot of pictures of that bird, and it was a lifebird for
both of us even though my wife is not a birder. We sure consumed a lot of
gasoline to get there but it was worth it. The owl is a beautiful bird. The
ground was covered with snow in the area. We tried to get to see the Prairie
Falcon along the Sandstone Rd but we couldn't go up there because our van
did not have a four wheel drive. We did not want to risk getting stuck in the
snow. Then we went up to the area along 226 Rd north of Chillicothe, MO to
look for the other snowy owl that was seen there but we failed to find it.
After that, we went south on Rt 65 until we stopped to visit Grand Pass CA
where I observed a large number of ducks. What I saw there were: Mallard,
Bufflehead, Northern Pintail, Common Goldeneye, Northern Shoveler, American
Coot ( I saw only two), Gadwall, Green-winged Teal, American Wigeon ( 1 or 2
male), Red-tailed Hawk, Bald Eagle ( a few), Canada Goose, Horned Lark, Red-
winged Blackbird ( a flock of over a hundred), and one American Robin. It was
the first time I ever birded Grand Pass CA. After we left Grand Pass CA, we
got back on Rt 65, going east to Marshall, MO. Just before we got to that
town, we pulled over, stopping to see a huge flock of Snow Geese along with
some Ross' Geese. There were over a thousand of them and it was awesome.
I never saw that many Snow Geese before. I spotted some Ross' among the
Snow Geese.
Then we kept going to Columbia where we stopped to eat at Harpo's in
downtown Columbia. It has gotten dark before we could go to Bradford Farm
so we decided to bypass it and went straight home.

Jim Hickner