Last evening we had an impromptu trip to Busch to listen for woodcock at our favorite spot. As soon as we arrived a little after 6pm we heard two males peenting on either side of the road.  The grasses had grown up since we were there last year, which turned out to be a good thing.  As soon as we heard the chirp chirp chirp of a descending bird, Bob Nansteel spotted him landing 10 feet in front of us just off the gravel in one inch grass where he began his peenting again as he turned in place to send his message in all directions.  This happened twice more with a bird landing on the other side of the road at the same time a second bird came down back in the tall grasses.  A very close but unseen Barred Owl sounded off once or twice as we were watching one of the Woodcocks.

On the way out we heard Spring Peepers calling loudly from nearby lakes.

I haven't figured out how to describe where the favorite spot is located, but will post when I do.  For old timers it is where there used to be a pecan grove.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County