Forwarding for James Hickner

From: James Hickner [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 8:08 PM
To: Josh Uffman
Subject: Good Birding Day - Feb 8 Sunday - some FOYs

Hi Josh!

I went birding all day Sunday from 9 am until 4:30 pm, and I had a total of 55 species, even though I avoided dirt roads since my wife just had our van washed the day before and she didn't want me to get the van dirty. I came up with some good birds:

Busch CA:

Eastern Towhee - 2 male at Fallen Oak Trail

Golden-crowned Kinglet - 1 male at Fallen Oak Trail

PINE WARBLER - 1 male at the feeder site near HQ

Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1 near the HQ

Ring-necked Duck - my FOY - several at Hampton Lake

Gadwall - some at Hampton Lake

Carolina Wren - 1 at Fallen Oak Trail

Also birded Blue Grosbeak Trail but I saw almost no bird activity there. My third attempt to find the Northern Shrike failed.

I checked the Church-Seeberger-Dwyer intersection but did not see any blackbirds.

Visited Columbia Bottom and found several sparrow species - Song, White-throated, White-crowned, American tree, and also Dark-eyed Junco.

Finally at Riverlands, I got some FOYs - Pied-billed Grebe, Brown-headed Cowbird, American Coot ( I saw three of them) and also found 11 species of ducks - Mallard, Common Merganser, Hooded Merganser (my FOY), Gadwall, Canvasback, Common Goldeneye, Ruddy Duck, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Northern Shoveler, and Green-winged Teal. Scanned all the gulls, mostly Ring-billed and some Herring. I pinpointed one possible Great Black-backed Gull because this one seemed larger than all other gulls and it has a pale head with a large beak but the whole flock of gulls got spooked before I could positively identify this bird after checking my Sibley's Guide. I am not a gull expert. Also looked at most of the eagles and spotted one very large immature eagle that was much larger than an adult Bald Eagle right next to it. That one was bigger than any other eagles at Riverlands. This seems odd but it looked so much like other immature Bald Eagles. Finally I found a Peregrine Falcon perching on a tree near the Clark bridge. That was my best view of that species I ever had.

I'm still puzzled by the very large immature eagle. It's really huge. Bigger than average Bald Eagles. It was not a Golden Eagle.

Good birding,

James Hickner