I have seen a flock of Trumpeter Swans in a field at Farley, MO on Highway MO-45 twice in the last week.  They have been using the corn field directly west of the grain elevators.   I saw them around 11:30 on Saturday 1/24/2009, then saw them last night 1/28/2009 at 17:10.  I had hot food in the car on Saturday so I was in a bit of a rush and quickly counted 12 birds, they were hard to see as there was new snow on the ground and the sun was VERY bright, they were all resting that day so I may have missed a couple of birds that were huddled close together.  Last night I saw them again, this time I was able to take my time and get good looks, plus they were actively foraging and were much more interesting to watch.  There were 14 birds one was in a drab gray immature plumage the others were all adult.  One had a red neck band (8K7).  They were still in the field after the sun had completely set but were not there at 07:00 this morning.  In addition to these a friend at work tells me that he had swans most of last week on Bean Lake.

John Bollin

Leavenworth County, KS