For clarification, there are 2 books by James D. Rising and David D.
Beadle about sparrows.  Both are excellent. One is illustrated (by
Beadle); the other is a photographic guide.  Even though I prefer
one, I often refer to both for slightly different/additional
information.

The only fault I find with either book is that they do not provide a
method of causing the birds to sit still long enough to see well and
consult the book, look again, consult the book...

Dr. James Rising is the banquet speaker (and will present a workshop)
for the 2009 ASM Spring Meeting in Columbia, May 1,2,3.

The two books are:

Rising, James D. and David D. Beadle, A guide to the Identification
and Natural History of The Sparrows of the United States and Canada.
Academic Press, 1996. 365 pages.  [this is the illustrated one]

Beadle, David D. and James D. Rising, Sparrows of the United States
and Canada, The Phpotographic Guide.  Academic Press, 2002.  328 pages.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO