Report for Sun Jan 25, 2009

Hi MOBirders:

MADISON COUNTY, ILLINOIS

Me and Messrs. Kassebaum, Rudden and Seiffert watched 7 species of gull
at the Alton dam, all from one spot at the parking lot, not far from the
picnic shelter:  RING-BILLED; HERRING; THAYER'S; first-cycle presumably
KUMLIEN'S (I saw, also presumably, the same individual on Saturday);
LESSER BLACK-BACKED; GLAUCOUS; GREAT BLACK-BACKED.  Light not as good
today as Saturday.  There were lots of eagle watchers out.

A series of seven photos starts here:
http://mike-thelen.smugmug.com/gallery/6826860_nCNxj/1/436324664_BtHkY#4
61833236_yGmDJ

ST. LOUIS COUNTY, MISSOURI

1 adult RED-SHOULDERED HAWK, perched close along Strodtman Road.

At Columbia Bottom CA I found a prairie MERLIN, apparently a female, in
the small grove adjacent to the viewing platform at the Cropland
Exploration Station.  The grove was loaded with sparrows.  At the
Confluence parking lot a WINTER WREN left its tree cavity and fluttered
out toward me and the car at an altitude of one foot, almost smacked
into the bumper, turned and went back to its tree.  In the scope the
wren had a beautiful, short, rufousy, tiger-striped tail that contrasted
with its brown back.  Also 1 male NORTHERN HARRIER and a dark RED-TAILED
HAWK.

Mike Thelen
University City (St. Louis County), Missouri