Thanks to the Simmonses of Lee's Summit, who graciously let Peter Kondrashov
and me watch their redpolls from inside their home late yesterday morning.
If yesterday's experience is representative, unlike the crossbills, it is
unlikely that you will miss them altogether, and you probably won't have to
wait long to see one. But they can only be seen from inside, and seeing one
well can take time. I was there for 30-40 minutes. During that time, one or
more redpolls were playing hide and seek with us almost continuously. The
Simmonses have several long tube feeders, which are being used by large
numbers of siskins and goldfinches. Except for one close to the house, the
feeders are at the back of the yard. A redpoll would appear at one of the
back feeders, then start to feed at the side or back of the feeder in a
position where only part (or none) of his body was visible. Peter finally
got a good look at one and left. Although I had had enough glimpses in the
back of the yard to tick the species for my year list, I waited for a better
look. Finally, one redpoll came and fed on the ground below the feeder close
to the house, and I saw it up close and personal.

Nice!

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri