Ruth,
I'm replying via the listserve because I'm sure others are
interested, too.

It's been a while since I've been to an ABA convention, but I doubt
much has changed (and change isn't needed).

ABA conventions and conferences are great ways to learn about an area
you haven't birded, meet like-minded birders from all over the
country, and to find a lot of birds.

Field trips may be by van or full-sized busload.  Yes, that's a lot
of people.  Far more people than one would normally want to have on a
single field trip.

That said, my experiences on ABA field trips have all been positive,
despite large numbers of participants on some.  The leaders are top
of the line in competence and there are enough of them to deal with
large groups.  The participants are all avid birders and know how to
behave.

Recent experiences with fewer people, but a mixed group at a state
park in the Rio Grande Valley were frustrating nightmares in birding
by comparison.

Yes, ABA conventions are definitely worthwhile experiences in bird
finding, in sharing birding time, and in learning!

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO