I drove the public roads in the vicinity of Witham, south of Swan
Lake, this afternoon.  I saw no Snowy Owl.  A very pale Red Tail Hawk
on a utility pole, its white breast reflecting the low sun, got my
attention for a moment!

I saw what I believe was a Merlin on the road west of Witham. The map
calls it Eagle Rd, but I did not see a sign. Then at sundown on my
way home, on P, south of M, just east of Bosworth, west of Grand
River, I saw several Short-eared Owls, the first I've ever seen in
Carroll County.  That made the trip definitely worthwhile.  Also in
the Whitham area was a very large flock of Robins, perhaps 100.

June Newman
Carroll County