I phoned Brent Galliart, the fellow with the White-winged Crossbill over on Jones Street, last evening. He said that he had seen the bird for each of the last three days (twice on two of the days!). The problem with people going over to see the bird, and not seeing it, is two fold. 9* Brendt works, so is not at home to see the bird during the week, but sees it on the week-ends when he is home and has a chance to see the bird.)

1.People usually do not get there early enough in the day. The best time is around 8:15 AM to 9:30 AM. (It is also sometimes seen in the early afternoon between the times of 12 PM until about 1:30 PM.)

2. It comes to the water dish on the wood deck for only a few seconds. Then it may come again after an hour or an hour and a half. It may also perch in the tree with the feeders hanging in it for a very short time.  So it can easily be missed.

It is still in the area! You just have to be patient, alert and there when the bird comes in for a drink in order to see the bird.

* Laura Gilchrist, did see the three Red Crossbills at the feeder in our yard Sunday morning from 8:55 AM - 9:20 AM. Brenda and I were at church during this period of time so did not get to see them. We did not see them after we got home for the rest of the day.

Oh, and Laura, Brent said he saw you in his backyard Sunday and right after you left, the WWCR did come in. Isn't that the way it goes!

Good Birding to All

Larry Lade
2823 Sacramento Street
Saint Joseph, MO