 Subject: IBET Good gulls at Carlyle Lake
From: Keith Mcmullen <warbler7 AT sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:35:40 -0800 (PST)

Greetings Gang:
?
Mark Seiffert called to report a LAUGHING GULL he and Dan located at the
Marina
at Carlyle Lake this AM.? It was zipping around amongst the RING-BILLED
GULLS
within the Harbor where all the boats are. I didn't catch any more details
in
the voice mail message I received.

?
Yesterday, Mark had an adult GLAUCOUS GULL near the Dam at Carlyle while
later,
I located a 1st cycle GLAUCOUS and 1st cycle ICELAND, almost side by side on
the rocks at the extreme eastern point of the Marina.?

?
With next weeks VERY cold forecast, expect more big gulls to make their way
further south.

?
Also, for those keeping track, this is the 5th area LAUGHING GULL within the
last few weeks.? Rend Lake had one on December 20th on the CBC, while Crab
Orchard tallied one the very next day (I got photos of that one!).? Just N
of
St. Louis, MO birders located 2 LAUGHING GULLS that ended up at near
Riverlands, Lock and Dam 26.? Now, the Carlyle bird.? It might not be global
warming but certainly many species are changing their habits, be it
wintering
ranges, summering ranges, migratory patterns, etc. All the more reason for
us
to pay attention to what we're seeing and sharing those sightings with
others.

?
Good birdings!

Keith McMullen