Interesting... the Red Crossbills that came for weeks in early 2008 to a home near High Ridge southwest of St Louis may have been attracted by their bubbling water feature.  If I remember correctly, they had only a single feeder out, but lots of natural seed bearing plants.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County

--- On Mon, 1/5/09, Larry Lade <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Larry Lade <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: White-winged Crossbill at water feature, Saint Joseph
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, January 5, 2009, 5:46 PM

This evening I called the person who has the WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL coming to his backyard. His name is Brent Galliart. He lives at 1707 Jones Street, Saint Joseph, Missouri  (this is the brick home).

He invites anyone to come and see the bird which his backyard has been attracting. Drive up the alley behind his home and park in his drive way. This is the best viewing spot if he is not a home and you are unable to watch from inside his house.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
gcrownkinglet AT yahoo DOT com