From: Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: The Dry Salvages - what's in a name?
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, January 31, 2009, 2:15 PM

of Eliot's dialectics

In 'Writing the self: dialectic and impersonality in T.S. Eliot',
Jewel Spears Brooker observes:

  In conclusion: the dialectical pattern underlying Eliot's notion of impersonality
  owes much to philosophical idealism, but it is actually much older. In using
  terms such as self 'annihilation', 'surrender' and 'sacrifice', terms carrying
  overtones of religion and violence,Eliot is associating his process not only
  with post-Hegelian dialectic, but also with the most ancient commonplaces
  regarding the connection between life and death in nature, myth and religion.
  This pattern is evident in Christ's words in the Gospel According to John
  (12:24): 'Verily, I say unto you, "Except a grain of wheat fall into the ground
  and die, it abideth alone; but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit."'

And in her Notes at p.56 (# 11), she remarks:

  I have examined this aspect of Eliot's dialectical imagination in relation to
  Harriet Davidson's T.S. Eliot and Hermeneutics...and Shira Wolosky's
  Language Mysticism...in an earlier version of this chapter, 'Dialectic and
  Impersonality in T.S. Eliot'..."

Culled from:

T.S. Eliot and the Concept of Tradition
By Giovanni Cianci, Jason Harding
Contributor Giovanni Cianci, Jason Harding
Edition: illustrated
Published by Cambridge University Press, 2007
ISBN 0521880025, 9780521880022
229 pages

http://books.google.com/books?id=kK-B5sa6WjYC&dq

CR