of Eliot's dialectics

Dear Carrol,

I use "dialectics" here in the sense of "the juxtaposition or interaction
of conflicting ideas, forces, etc."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dialectics

CR

-----

We only live, only suspire
Consumed by either fire or fire.

            -- Little Gidding

In order to arrive there,
To arrive where you are, to get from where you are not,
    You must go by a way wherein there is no ecstasy.
In order to arrive at what you do not know
    You must go by a way which is the way of ignorance.
In order to possess what you do not possess
    You must go by the way of dispossession.
In order to arrive at what you are not
    You must go through the way in which you are not.
And what you do not know is the only thing you know
And what you own is what you do not own
And where you are is where you are not.

                   -- East Coker

-----