Actually, it is the only poem Eliot published in an early text and then never included in a collection.  But the attitude, as you say, is not at all unusual, and his representations of real women--as opposed to children in gardens or statues or images--is consistent.  They are neurotic and often disgusting.  they have "good old female stench"; they are a "doorstep dunged by every dog in town"; they are hysterical.

And yes, I know his men aren't so great either.  But they do not evoke that kind of sexual loathing.  A possible exception is the young man carbuncular, though he seems more an image of stupid presumption.
Nancy

>>> Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> 01/31/09 9:00 AM >>>
> Peter Montgomery wrote:
>
> And we must infer that the narrator is Eliot?

No, but it's unpublished scribbling, it echoes a lot else, there is
no obvious sign of dramatic monolouge, & it's just not worth
wasting time arguing with this. Eliot is the one who imagined the
narrator in quite straightforward terms.

And while any fool can ask a question, the question only becomes
interesting if he/she gives an answer also.

Carrol