Am 19.01.2009 um 22:39 schrieb Carrol Cox:

Gunnar got so excited his fingers seem to have wandered. Can someone
construe --

hisinnesotapeech

his innesotapeech

his inne?r? ot ?s?peech

Throughout his campaign, Kennedy had prepared the American people for these images, for his quotation from Isaiah to “undo the heavy burdens... (and) let the oppressed go free.” He had, if anything, erred on the side of overestimating the literacy and intelligence of the American people; during his campaign had quoted from Francis Bacon at the Bergen Mall in Paramus, Edmund Burke at Frontier Park in Cheyenne, T. S. Eliot at a Minnesota bean feed, Aristotle in Pittsburgh, King Lear in Buffalo, Emerson in Duluth, and, at rallies here and there, from Victor Hugo, Wolfgang von Goethe, and Oscar Wilde: "Experience is the name that everyone gives to their mistakes."
Kennedy’s inaugural address is now part of the DNA of American politics, and its cadences, images, and phrases can he heard echoing through the prepared speeches and extemporaneous remarks of politicians for both parties, including those of Barack Obama. In Obama’s announcement speech, he echoed Kennedy’s “a torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans” with “each and every time a new generation has risen up... Today we are called once more—and it is time for our generation to answer that call.”
In his inaugural address, Kennedy followed “Let us begin anew…” and “Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate,” with a litany of exhortations beginning with “Let…” In his announcement speech last February, Obama said, “So let us begin. Let us begin this hard work together. Let us transform this nation. Let us be the nation that reshapes our economy,” and then followed with 14 exhortations opening with a more casual “Let’s...” Since Obama’s announcement speech, the Kennedy echoes have become fainter.

Sorry, dear Carrol -- I've mixed up JFK's stuff with Obama's -- a Freudian slip!
Just goes to show how much of a projection of hope he was in Europe at the time

 "Ich bin ein Berliner" -- a statement JFK delivered in front of hundreds of thousands of people in besieged Berlin at the time,
never realizing that, in German, a "Berliner" means a doughnut...

I still remember lots of jokes about that at the time!

Probably a reference to "Inaugural Address"???

I hope Gunnar is correct, but my own provisional prognosis is that Obama
will be the Herbert Hoover, not the FDR of our time. But then the
Depression ended thanks to WW2, not to the New Deal, which was far too
timid and conservative to get a grip on what was happening. Social
Security was merely a way of fending off the Townsend Plan. The Wagner
Act merely a way of diluting the gains the CIO was making by encasing
them in bureaucracy. If what is coming down the tracks is as serious as
it kind of looks, we need not to "control" entitlements (e.g. Social
Security) but to immensely increase Social Security, but change it to a
guaranteed pension paid from general reenue, not from a payroll tax,
which ought to be cancelled.

Agree, Carrol -- it was the WWII effort that got the US out of the depression.
Let's just hope there won't be a need for a similar scenario...

Carrol