Carol, real sorry about your eye problems, but you don't know at all that smoking had anything to do with it.  When I worked as a Paralegal in Naples, one of the secretaries (she was about 60) also was diagnosed with macular degeneration and she never smoked.  I wasn't boasting about smoking.  I was making fun of the Paparazzi for trying so hard to get a photo of Obama smoking.