**************************************
I was looking for that Dans translation that Pound wrote, and the only word I could remember from it was "cannimaculated". Do a Google seach on that word and you'll get a link to the "invisible" poetry site.

Google sees even more than Tiresias at the violet hour. . .

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Diana Manister <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I did tell the TSE list that I was posting some of the list's comments on that translation in a poetry forum, and I did post Christopher's comments on the TSE list. As I recall, at least one TSE list member commented on Christopher's remarks.

Had that thread flourished in the poetry forum I would have continued cross-postings, but it went dead very quickly.

In future I will refrain from re-posting comments from the TSE list elsewhere.

The forum to which you refer is private. I am assured that it is invisible to google and other search engines. This is necessary because many poetry journals consider poems that are workshopped online to be "previously published," so poets are often unwilling to post their poems for peer review if they intend to submit them for publication anywhere but in a forum that can't be found by searches.

If the forum is not invisible to search engines, I'd like to know. I've tested it myself and found it to be invisible.

Diana

Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:28:09 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Off topic: Reposting TSE posts

To: [log in to unmask]

I looked though the link supplied by Scot. Diana reposted quite a few TSE posts, which then generated discussion on her list, some of it quite critical of the original poster. But by having the posts on a second list, the original poster did not get a chance to defend themselves. For example, the translation of "Dans le Restaurant" by Professor Ingelbein is ridiculed on Diana's list:

==========================

10/18/2008:

Just get rid of that awful Inglebein translation. Get the comma in where it belongs, "il est venu, nous peloter, un gros chien"--like that. "Le fait est dur. Il est venu."

There's no bestiality here, only human sexuality for which we human changelings, neither one thing nor the other, not even properly incarnate, if at all, turn to the companionable animal world for metaphors.

Please pass that on to your group. Please tell them there was no literal dog getting his thing off on these children!

That's important--it's such a travesty. Get rid of Inglebein once and for all.

Please!

Christopher

If Christopher had posted this on the TSE list, at least Professor Inglebien (or one of the rest of us) could have defended the translation instead of just letting the ridicule stand. That's very unfair to Professor Inglebien.

-- Tom --